KaZoua Vang
Grammar for College
Education Essay
Block 4
What is education?
What is the first word that comes to your mind when you hear the word, “education?” In most occasion people would think of the word, “teacher.” Loren Eiseley stated in her essay, “The Hidden Teacher,” “we think we learn from teachers, and we sometimes do, but teachers are not always to be found in schools or in great laboratories.” If this is true, then what is education to me?
According to “Dictionary.com,” “education is the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life." Education to me is not all about doing homework, taking testes, and being smart. It is the method of teaching people how to survive the real world. Once we get older we will no longer be living with our parents, instead we will be on our own ready to take on the world one little step at a time. Education is the building block to everything we learn and do in life.
Growing up with parents who were immigrants and didn’t know English very well taught me a lot. I learned how to be independent by teaching myself how to read, do math, and write. It wasn’t just school or school work that I had to learn on my own. I had learn how to speak English on my own. When my parents needed an interpreter they relied on their children to help them out and I was there to help .By interpreting for my parents at such a young age has taught me to speak up for myself and not be afraid. My parents always expressed and encouraged education, so any education that I could get my hands on I took it. Also growing up I had three older sisters whom I would fight and argue with. Thanks to them I learned discipline, respect, and obedience.
In The Dead Poets Society, the boys had their whole lives planned out for them. Every decision was made by their parents and they didn’t even get the chance to speak for themselves. They didn’t get the chance to be who they wanted to be or experience the life of a typical teenager. Everything changed when Mr. Keets, an English teacher, showed them how to express themselves through poetry, which gave them hope and encouragement. He showed them through his teaching that there was more to life than being what their parents wanted them to be. He didn’t just teach them literature or poetry he let the boys think for themselves. They were able to teach each other in many ways.
Teaching to me is the main description of education, but teachers are not just people who have a teaching degree and work in schools. Everywhere or everyone around us is a teacher in different ways. We learn from our own surroundings and we become educated by opening ourselves to new things.
Grammar for College
Education Essay
Block 4
What is education?
What is the first word that comes to your mind when you hear the word, “education?” In most occasion people would think of the word, “teacher.” Loren Eiseley stated in her essay, “The Hidden Teacher,” “we think we learn from teachers, and we sometimes do, but teachers are not always to be found in schools or in great laboratories.” If this is true, then what is education to me?
According to “Dictionary.com,” “education is the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life." Education to me is not all about doing homework, taking testes, and being smart. It is the method of teaching people how to survive the real world. Once we get older we will no longer be living with our parents, instead we will be on our own ready to take on the world one little step at a time. Education is the building block to everything we learn and do in life.
Growing up with parents who were immigrants and didn’t know English very well taught me a lot. I learned how to be independent by teaching myself how to read, do math, and write. It wasn’t just school or school work that I had to learn on my own. I had learn how to speak English on my own. When my parents needed an interpreter they relied on their children to help them out and I was there to help .By interpreting for my parents at such a young age has taught me to speak up for myself and not be afraid. My parents always expressed and encouraged education, so any education that I could get my hands on I took it. Also growing up I had three older sisters whom I would fight and argue with. Thanks to them I learned discipline, respect, and obedience.
In The Dead Poets Society, the boys had their whole lives planned out for them. Every decision was made by their parents and they didn’t even get the chance to speak for themselves. They didn’t get the chance to be who they wanted to be or experience the life of a typical teenager. Everything changed when Mr. Keets, an English teacher, showed them how to express themselves through poetry, which gave them hope and encouragement. He showed them through his teaching that there was more to life than being what their parents wanted them to be. He didn’t just teach them literature or poetry he let the boys think for themselves. They were able to teach each other in many ways.
Teaching to me is the main description of education, but teachers are not just people who have a teaching degree and work in schools. Everywhere or everyone around us is a teacher in different ways. We learn from our own surroundings and we become educated by opening ourselves to new things.
1 comment:
I felt that she had a very good introduction. Also I thought that she had great transitions through out the essay. I think that she did a very nice job on her essay, and I give her a 5.
Post a Comment